If you have ever seen this post Server Room – The latest you will notice we have a pretty awesome HPE Aruba 5400R zl2 Core Switch; however (at least until now), I’ve been yet to find a really simple guide which shows the best way to reboot the management modules following a firmware update.
So after much research and a live firmware update this morning (last time round I just reloaded both management modules at the same time) I’m going to go with the following plan.
- Update the firmware (wait a few minutes for the firmware to copy from the primary to the secondary module – this is automatic)
- Reboot the standby module using the boot standby command (and wait a few minutes)
- Confirm that the standby module is now running the new firmware with show redundancy
- Failover from the active to the standby module – this caused a few seconds of downtime in my environment
- Once the failover is complete the previously active module will now also be running the new firmware
For easy copy and paste see the commands on GitHub below along with the screenshot sequence which shows you how this will look on a switch running the 16.x branch firmware.