A little while back I moved to Office 2013 (from 2010) however in the past few days I noticed that Windows Update wanted to install 2 updates – both of which would fail with error code 80024002D.
As it turns out this was a lingering update from Office 2010 that was trying to install, naturally as 2010 was now long gone there was nothing to update – hence the error message!
Once I ran the Fix it program I refreshed Windows update and boom the problem was gone!
More in the screen shots below…
Windows could not search for new updates
An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
Code 800B0001 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
The funny thing was the clients could still get updates from Microsoft Update however anything from our Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Server would result in this error message.
As it turns out Microsoft had updated the Windows Update client on Windows 7 and that an update (the number is KB2720211) was required on the WSUS server to allow the clients to continue to update.
Simple solution is to approve this update in WSUS and apply it to your servers, a bit of a pain is that this update requires a reboot of the server but hey its that or no updates for your clients!
For a nice walk through see the screenshots below
Update – For Windows Server 2012
A further update has been released to allow WSUS 3.0 SP2 to provide updates for Windows Server 2012 – details can be found at KB2938066.