Well the new school term is upon us and I have (at last!) had the time to do a photo of my office setup.
In the photo above we have-
- 2x HP 23bw 23″ IPS monitors
- These beasts recently replaced a pair of 1440×900 resolution monitors – given that I’m doing a lot of database work at the moment it only made sense!
- Custom built Desktop PC
- A pretty old machine now, dual core AMD Athlon CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, an 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and AMD FirePro graphics card (with it I have the option to go to 4 displays if ever needed!) all contained in a Fractal Design case
- Polycom CX700 Lync Phone
- Found this on eBay for £35 (the RRP is about £350), for most of the time I am using my Bluetooth headset but for the times that I need a speaker phone this fits the bill
- Microsoft LifeCam Studio webcam
- 720p HD webcam – used for those rare occasions I make a Lync video call
- Plantronics Voyager Legend
- My Bluetooth wireless headset, I use this for pretty much all of my phone calls – I just love the flexibility it provides especially given that it can talk to both my PC (through the Lync client) and my mobile phone at the same time – perfect for call forwarding!
- LINX B-Tube Bluetooth Speaker
- Quite possibly the only thing worth anything that I have ever won in a competition – battery/AC powered Bluetooth speaker with a 3.5mm jack port as well, a great little speaker for watching Keynotes and such…
- Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch graphics tablet
- Something for the days that I need to use PhotoShop/record a signature electronically
- Wouxun KG-UV6D Radio
- We use 2 way radios where I work for contact between our other members of the IT team as well as the Site team
- 7 port USB 3.0 hub
- My most recent purchase from when my Belkin hub died after 10 years of service! Given my PC is under the desk and the number of USB devices that I have in use at any one time this really does make life easier
- Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 (Keyboard and Mouse)
- Pretty basic keyboard and mouse – I can’t say that I’ve ever found a need for anything more advanced, if I had to choose a ‘this stands out’ feature of the keyboard its got to be the calculator launch button.
Just a little snippet before hitting September…..Having recently tried to update the Firmware on my Plantronics Voyager Legand at work (using a Windows 8.1 problem) I found that the MyHeadset Updater (http://www.plantronics.com/uk/product/myheadset-updater) tool cannot handle web proxies (without having the URLs it tries to reach out to being in a authentication bypass list).
As I only had one headset to update I turned to the simple solution of take it home and do it there!